18.5.10

1. The good night porter should be: discreet, unassuming...

The demands placed upon us night porters are rigorous. We are expected to be courteous, polite at all times, know everything without letting on that we do, be able to make gentle conversation at all times and be generally invisible.

I move quietly through the hotel's corridors, padding past the doors behind which life continues, and in some cases, also stops. We've had the odd death here and there. Nothing major and it has always been handled with the discretion that has become our trademark. The body is ferried out through the kitchen into the hearse waiting by the back door.

My job is to tend to my guests' needs: is it wine you want, or a young gigolo? Maybe you are looking for a body to keep your bed warm at night? What do I know? It's up to you to tell me what you really, really want... All I do is listen. And tend to my own needs.

2 comments:

  1. Could it be you're working at Hotel Babylon? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, no, we don't want to be associated with such establishments and we never will.

    ReplyDelete