27.5.10

2. The good night porter should be: invisible

We are good at managing what you don't see. But we are also very good at remaining unseen.

Tell me, when you walk past me, and you acknowledge my good evening, do you actually know what I look like? Who am I? What do I wear? Am I a woman or a man? Am I bald maybe, or is my mane pinned back in a tight bun? Do I have blue eyes? Do I speak with an accent?

I am sure that you are unable to answer any of these questions.

Likewise I know that you have no idea what makes me tick. Nor should you because it is none of your business. Occasionally I will lift a tip of the veil, allowing you a glimpse into the world that is mine. A world that brightens up at night, and that is dull in the harsh daylight.

Mine is a world of disappearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment